#ILGive Business Fundraiser's Toolkit
The support of local businesses, and the amplification of their support via their employees and their customers, is critical to the success of #ILGive. Not only does your participation help ensure a successful day of fundraising for our nonprofits, but your dedication to their important work will be recognized throughout your community. For #ILGive, we're offering your business an opportunity to easily help your employees and customers donate to causes they're passionate about in a way that brings invaluable visibility to your business.
How can I be successful in spreading philanthropy to my employees and customers? Check out the Business Toolkit below for ideas on running a successful fundraiser. We've supplied marketing resources, communication templates, and ideas around incentives and celebrations to engage your employees and customers in giving and spread your message to their networks.
Want to see who else is involved in your community? Find your favorite participating nonprofits here, and participating businesses here.
Interested in learning more about #ILGive and the value to your business? Contact Suzy Lee at SLee@myforefront.org.
How do I run a successful fundraiser for my business?
The number one tip for a successful #ILGive fundraiser is to celebrate philanthropic contributions both big and small. Here are some tips, tricks, and ideas on how to encourage your employees and customers to rally around philanthropy so you can become the single largest fundraiser in your community
Share ILGive.com with everyone!
What incentives can I offer or celebrations can I plan to my employees or customers?
As you hit your giving day milestones or to just celebrate the giving spirit of #ILGive, plan something fun for your office or business on December 3rd. We have some ideas below, but the sky's the limit for how you can boost employee and customer engagement.
- Food: Cater a snack break, host a pot luck, or a dessert party to celebrate giving
- Attire: Have a casual dress day so employees can dress to represent the agency or cause they care about
- Advertise: Pass out “I Gave” stickers to employees who gave to celebrate the causes they care about
- Competition: Have a competition between departments to see who can raise the most and offer a prize
- Discounts: If you have a store front, offer a percentage off of an item if they can show they gave (#ILGive sends out a receipt to each donor for easy access on their phone!).
- Raffle: Offer a raffle, and every time a donor gives if as entry into the raffle.
- Happy Hour: Host a happy hour and invite local nonprofits and your customers to meet and mingle!
Use some of these sample communications below to start spreading the word about your business's involvement in #ILGive. When sharing on social media, make sure you're always using the official hashtag, #ILGive to show the greater community what you're up to.
Facebook and Twitter
Facebook is the most popular form of social media to share about participation in giving day - so make sure you're using it leading up to and on December 3rd! You can use Facebook to share with employees and customers and keep engagement up.
- Announce your participation: We are excited to announce our participation in #ILGive on December 3rd! Find out why we're participating on our page here: [YOUR BUSINESS LINK] and mark your calendars for December 3rd to give to your favorite nonprofit!
- If you're offering a match: Today, our business is focused on improving on community by matching all our employees' gifts made to nonprofits through #ILGive! There are over [X] number of nonprofits participating to improve the lives of our community members. Find your cause and give today at ILGive.com.
- If you're offering an incentive to employees or customers: [[Business name] is supporting #ILGive on December 3rd and offering a [gift basket] to any customer that gives today. Stop in after you give through ILGive.com and show us proof to be eligible!
- Celebrate the success you achieved for the day: Wow. We are in awe of the amazing employees and customers we have. Collectively, we were able to raise $X with X donors for nonprofits participating in #ILGive. We couldn't have done this without you. Thank you for supporting your community, and celebrating the act of giving with us.
Share pictures of your business, employees, and customers participating in #ILGive on Instagram. If your having a dress down day in the office, offering a raffle, or hosting (or encouraging attendance at) an event, share all of these events on Instagram! Make sure you're using the #ILGive hashtag so people can keep up.
Social media is a great tool for spreading the word to people that follow you. But there’s no substitute for a direct, targeted email to your employees, customers, or even your personal network. Consider sending emails that correspond to your social media activity, as well as direct targeted asks. Here is a sample email to get you thinking about how you want to spread the word:
Subject: Help us support the nonprofits who make this community great! Join [BUSINESS NAME] for #ILGive
On December 3rd businesses and individuals across our your community community will come together to support our local nonprofits during #ILGive. We are thrilled to be participating this year as a business fundraiser.
#ILGive is the Illinois fundraising platform for the national event Giving Tuesday. The digitally-focused, day-long online giving campaign aims to build capacity for nonprofits, grow the giving economy in Illinois, tear down barriers to giving, and inspire ordinary people to advocate for their communities. [IF OFFERING MATCH]: Your donations to local nonprofits at ilgive.com will be amplified! We’re offering bonus dollars as an incentive to give. [Describe program here i.e. dollar for dollar, up to a certain amount, lump sum to reach goal etc.] There are so many ways to participate. Spread the word; become a fundraiser for your favorite nonprofit; donate on December 3rd. Support your favorite cause and improve your community. To make sure your gift [is matched / is counted in our business's totals], follow these steps:
- Find your favorite nonprofit! Visit ilgive.com to search hundreds of participating nonprofits in our community.
- Commit to a nonprofit. You can start donating as soon as the site opens on December 3rd. Remember to select [Business Name] at checkout!
- Spread the word! Let your network know about #ILGive and who you are supporting. Use the hashtag #ILGive to be part of the conversation.
For questions about #ILGive and how you can get involved please visit ilgive.com or contact [Business Name].